Meeting Room Policy
It is the intention of the Union County Public Library Board of Trustees to make the Union County Public Library meeting rooms available to individuals and organizations when these facilities are not needed for activities sponsored in whole or in part by the library. Public meeting room use does not constitute library endorsement of the beliefs or ideas expressed by organizations or individuals using the space. The library reserves the right to revoke permission previously granted if deemed appropriate.
Groups or individuals wishing to use a meeting room must complete and have an approved meeting room application form. The actual reservation will not take place until the approved application form is turned into the library. Scheduling will be limited when necessary to ensure equitable access to the facilities for the entire community. Booking of the meeting room is on a first come first served basis and library use takes precedence.
- Rooms will be booked only to adults (18+) with an active library card. Youth groups may use the room if a responsible adult is present at all times. This adult will be responsible for the behavior of participants.
- The library reserves the right, with 24-hour notice, to cancel permission to use a meeting room and/or to substitute facilities.
- No individual or group may assign its reservation to another individual or group.
- A $35 fee will apply for each meeting outside of or extending beyond regular library business hours.
- The meeting rooms are not available for reservation after Saturday 5:00 p.m and Sundays.
- Reservations may be made no more than 3 months in advance.
- Rooms used for programs involving the sale, advertising, solicitation or promotion of commercial products or services may only be reserved one (1) time a month per consultant or person.
- Chairs and tables will be provided, but must be set up by each group.
- The applicant for the room is responsible for any damage to the facility, property, or equipment and for the cleanliness of the facility at the close of the meeting.
- Materials are not to be attached to walls, windows, doors, or furnishings except at the direction of authorized staff. Do not use tape on the walls.
- Groups using the meeting room may not charge fees for attendance.
- Groups using the meeting rooms during the library hours are asked to park in the gravel parking lot, and leave the spaces open in the library lot nearest the door for library patrons that are just going in and out.
- Refreshments may be served in all meeting rooms.
- Smoking and alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- Any open flames, including the use of open candles, are prohibited by state fire regulations.
- There is no baby-sitting service for children in the library for those attending functions in the meeting room. If adults attending these functions bring children, they will be responsible for their children’s behavior throughout the building. If the children create a disturbance in the library, they will be required to stay with the adult in the meeting room.
- Lights and equipment are to be turned off at the end of the function.
- The library is not responsible for any property left on the premises.
Please notify the library of any cancellation as soon as possible so that other groups may use the room. Failure to do so may result in loss of future privileges. Meeting room fees are non-refundable.
If a key was needed for the use of the rooms, it should be returned in an envelope in the book drop immediately following the event.
Use by Nonprofit Organizations and Local Units of Government:
Nonprofit organizations operating in the Union County area and units of local government may reserve the meeting room. Use by nonprofit organizations and units of local governments is free of charge however, donations are accepted.
It is the responsibility of the nonprofit organization or unit of local government to contact the Library if a meeting has been cancelled.